Here is a ist of those who served and died in 1914-1918 War, associated with Powerscourt and Kilbride Parishes.
+Acton, Armar E. C.F. (chaplain) 1917 (K)
Acton, Owen Lt Connaught Rangers (survived) (K)
Blennerhassett, Giles Observer RFC (survived)
*Buckley, William Pt 7th Batt Royal Irish Regiment 1918 aged 29
Burleigh, Cecil, Pte Rl Inniskilling Fusiliers (survived) (K)
Burleigh,William, Sgt, Rl Irish Lancers (survived) (K)
Cherry, Richard. Lt. 9th Batt Rifle Brigade (survived) (K)
Clement, Claude. Australian Contingent (survived) (K)
Craig, Hedley William 2nd Lt RFC 1917 aged 27
Cream, C B Chevallier Pte Canadian Seaforth Highlanders 1915
+Darley, Arthur Tudor, Commander RN. HMS Good Hope 1914 aged 38 (K)
+Darley, John Evelyn Lt Col 4th Hussars 1918 aged 38 (K)
+Darley, Stella VAD 1917 (K)
*Davies, Edward Pt Coldstream Guards 1917
Deane, Thomas Alex David Royal Marine Light Infantry
De Courcy, John A G M.C. C de G. Squadron Leader RAF (survived). d. 1941 WW2(K)
+Dobbin, Robert A.S. Lt. RGA 1915 (K) aged 21
+Dobbin, Fergus Le Fanu. Lt. 6 th Gurkha Rifles I. A. 1919 (K) aged 19
Elmitt, Austin Joyce, MC Capt Welsh Regiment 1917 aged 20
Elmitt, George Carleton 2nd Lt RIF 1917 aged 19
*Ferran, Samuel J Pt Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 1917
Fraser, Eileen Nurse in France (survived) daughter of Powerscourt Rector Henry Galbraith
*Galbraith, Alexander Norman Capt Ceylon Planters Rifle Corps, 1915, son of above.
Hamilton, Albert, OBE Capt Army Service Corps (survived) (K)
Hamilton, Charles Capt Irish Guards (survived) (K)
+Hamilton ,Douglas 2nd Lt RIF 1915 (K) aged 22
+Hamilton, Eric Capt R.F.C. 1917 (K)
Heatley, Edward Norman RDF "Pals" 1920 aged 25
Hodson, Edmond Adair Major. R E Machine Gun Corps (survived) (K)
Hodson, G Stanley Lt R ? Signal Corps (survived )(K)
+Lawrence, Henry Pt. Rl Dublin Fus. 1916 (K) aged 22
Le Fanu, Hugh Capt (Survived)
Lee, Alfred Tennyson wounded Gallipoli. Aged 31
Lee, Joseph Bagnall Killed Gallipoli, same day as his brother, above. 1915
Lee, Robert Ernest RAMC. Drowned in the "Leinster".
Magee, William Rl ? Artillary (survived )(K)
Mason, Ernest Vance, Capt. MC (survived)
Maunsell, Douglas Slade Lt Royal Munster Fusiliers 1916 aged 31
May, Edward City? of ? Imperial Yeomanry (survived) (K)
Mecredy, Eric M.C. C de G. Tank Corps (survived) (K)
Mecredy, Ralph Capt RAMC(survived) (K)
Mecredy, Raymond Pt. Army Service Corps. (survived) (K)
Mc Dowell, Robert Rl Inniskilling Fusiliers 1922 (K)
*Mc Lennon, Farquar John 2nd Lt. Gordon Highlanders 1916 aged 24
McKee, Rev Ernest wounded at Ypres but survived (Presbyterian Minister, Bray)
*Mellefont, Thomas Rifleman Royal Irish Rifles 1914 aged 19
Millar, Robert Mc G. M.C. Capt Tank Corps ( survived) (K)
*Monck, The Hon Charles Henry Stanley - Capt Grenadier Guards 1914
*Moorehouse, George , L/ cpl Royal Irish Fusiliers 1918 aged 23
+Moses, Marcus Alwynne, 2nd Rhodesian Contingent 1914 (K) aged 27
Odlum, Julian, Capt Rl Irish Artillary (survived) (K)
Price, Charles Pownall chaplain Chinese Labour Corps; survived; Rector of Kilbride
Robertson, Ivan Scott ; Australian Imperial Forces 1915 aged 34
Salmon, Mark Pt Rl Irish Regiment. (survived) (K)
Sandys, Hilda RRC and Dorothea. VADs (survived)
Sloan, Harold Alex Fitzgerald. 2nd Lt Royal Garrison Artillary 1917 aged 37
Smith, Arthur, Pt 5th Irish Horse (survived) (K)
Smith, Thomas, Pte 5th Irish Horse. (survived) (K)
Smyth, Algernon Beresford Capt Yorkshire Light Infantry 1914 aged 30
Smyth, C.D Capt RIR wounded but survived
Smyth, Joseph Pt. Connaught Rangers 1915 aged 21
Smythe, Albert Edward Pt Irish Guards 1914 aged 18
Stedman, Edward Pt. Rl Irish Regiment (survived) (K)
*Sutton, Thomas Pt Connaught Rangers 1916 aged 39
Switzer, Kenneth RAF (survived) (K)
Townshend, C. Richard L. Lt RN. (survived) (K)
Townshend, Philip E. U. Lt Commander, RN. (survived) (K)
Tudor, Alan Roper midshipman, 1916 aged 16
Valentine, Samuel, Sgt. Rl Irish Fus (survived) (K)
Valentine, Thomas, Pt Seaforth Highlanders ( survived ) (K)
Vance, William Pt Royal Dublin Fusiliers 1916 aged 30
West, Aubrey F. Capt Rl Irish Fus ( survived) (K)
West, Cyril C. Lt Col The Black Watch (survived ) (K)
West, Harold R.A. Sgt. 1st King Edward's Horse (survived) (K)
*Weir, William Ritchley Gunner Reserve Battery RFA 1917 aged 24
This list contains those who served and died during the conflict of 1914-1918, identified with families buried in the Churchyard, or associated with the parish . The ten names with a * are listed on Powerscourt Church War Memorial. The ten names with + are those killed from Kilbride's Roll of Honour. Names marked K are listed on the Kilbride Roll of Honour
There are perhaps many more not identified here. If you know of anyone missing from this list, please get in touch with the Rector, or Judy Cameron (firstname.lastname@example.org) Any further stories, (or corrections) about these men, will be most welcome.
Extracts from Rev. A.E. Stokes’ Lecture 1963
It was the building of the village, many of the inhabitants of which could attend worship only in the evening, which was probably responsible for the erection of the present church, the centenary of which we are now celebrating. After the railway from Dublin to Bray was opened in 1851 the whole neighbourhood began to develop. Kilbride Church was consecrated in 1859 and Christ Church, Bray in 1863. In 1857 Elizabeth, Marchioness of Londonderry, whose first husband had been Richard the sixth Viscount, offered to the parish the magnificent present of a new church as a parting gift when she handed over her responsibilities on her son’s attaining his majority. Mervyn Edward, the seventh Viscount from 1844 to 1904, laid the foundation stone with a mallet and trowel of Wicklow silver on the day he came of age in October 1857, and a description of the day’s events may be read in the contemporary Illustrated London News. The church cost £3,441 9s. 2d. The accounts still exist and they show why the consecration was delayed until 15th September 1863. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners were not satisfied with the slated spire, and would not accept delivery from the architect, Norton of London, until a copper spire had been erected. This spire, in its turn, had to be renewed in 1929 at a cost of £1,300, as its wooden frame, which was replaced by one of Stainless steel, had perished. Despite the delay in consecration the church was opened for evening worship in 1860 at a service at which the Bishop of Labuan and Sarawak preached. When the day came for the consecration Archbishop Whately was dying, and so the ceremony was performed bt his friend Bishop FitzGerald of Kilaloe. The Church, which is dedicated to St Patrick, has since remained substantially unaltered, save that in 1875 the organ was moved to the north transept. Mervyn Richard, the eighth Viscount, who gave the lectern in 1914, donated the pulpit in 1932 in memory of his parents, and in 1946 he and Colonel Riall presented the choir stalls. The prayer desks were given in 1932 by Lord Monck in memory of his grandparents. In 1919 the chancel was altered, and instead of the old wooden rail which is now at Annacrevy, brass communion rails were put in as a War Memorial. This last fact reminds us that the background to the life of the present church has been the rivalry between Great Britain and Germany which resulted in two world wars, both of which have brought as many changes to our neighbourhood as has the invention of the motor car.
The Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland took place in 1869 not long after the building of the church. How our parish reorganised its finances, and came to grips with its new independence, may be studied in the very full minutes of the newly established Select Vestry.
These minutes record the first major task which they undertook, the building of a new rectory (now Clonderlaw) which however was sold in 1926. There is a break in the minutes from 1885 to 1895 as the current Minute Book was in the Powerscourt Arms Hotel when it was burnt down in 1894. The proprietor (one of the fifteen Mr Buckleys of the district) was the Secretary of the Select Vestry.
As a result of the first Great War changes began to take place in the neighbourhood. Britain, which had fought the war in the defence of small nations, could not, in conscience, refuse the demands of those in Ireland who were seeking, independence. One of the first laws made by the new Irish Free State government was the Land Act of 1923 by which the Irish Land Commission compulsorily bought farms from landed proprietors, and put them into the possession of the former tenants who now pay Land Annuites. In this way most of the land in the Dargle Valley passed out of the possession of Lord Powerscourt.
“The Troubles” that led up to, and that followed, the setting up of the Free State are still a living memory to many who remember how the bridge across the Dargle at Kilcroney was blown up, how the Police barracks was burnt out, and how the Parochial Hall was taken over as a police station. In 1923 Annacrevy ceased to be used as a school, although Sunday afternoon worship still continues there.
When the government vacated the Parochial Hall, in order to avoid doubts about its ownership Lord Powerscourt sold the fee simple to parish trustees, and in 1925 it was vested in the Rev W. F. Boyle, Mr C. Darlington and Mr H. Williams.
I do not propose interpreting the events of our local history since the outbreak of World War II in 1939, save to record that for half its history our parish church has served, not only our own parishioners, but also members of the Boy Scout and Girl Guide Movement, who since 1912 have been camping in Powerscourt Demesne. Their presence in church through the summer months from Easter to Harvest gives the welcome stimulus of numbers to our country congregation. For that, and, for all His other blessings to us who live in the Dargle Valley we in the Parish of Powerscourt give thanks to God in the words of the Litany which has been prayed here for nearly four centuries. “O God we have heard with our ears, and our fathers have declared unto us, the noble works that thou didst in their days, and in the old time beforethem..”
The Parish records since 1662 may be consulted in microfilm in the National Library, Dublin.